ABOUT ACTOGETHER UGANDA
ACTogether Uganda is a registered NGO (reg no 6853) established in 2006 as an alliance of Slum Dwellers International (SDI). ACTogether strives to create inclusive cities with united and empowered communities of the urban poor who have capacity to voice, promote, and negotiate for their interests. The primary strategy ACTogether uses to achieve this aim is to support the development of a strong and active National slum dwellers federation and hence forms a special partnership with the NSDFU, which requires joint program development. Since inception ACTogether has supported the growth of the NSDFU to 20 municipalities with 74759 members. ACTogether work focuses on slum upgrading, participatory governance and accountability, profiling enumeration and mapping of slum settlements and improving the livelihood of the urban poor.
We are looking for two experienced and dynamic senior managers to fill the positions of Executive Director and Finance & Administrative manager. The Executive Director will oversee the operations, functions and activities of ACTogether. He/She will be the face of the organization, responsible for giving proper strategic direction and implementing a high quality vision; while the Finance and Administration manager will manage the operations and activities in the finance departments and oversee the administrative responsibilities of the organization.
- EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
DUTY STATION: Kampala, Uganda
CONTRACT TYPE: Full time
The Executive Director is ultimately responsible for the overall leadership and management of the organization and all aspects of its operations. This primarily involves the supervision and coordination of all projects which provide ACTogether’s services to the urban poor community
- PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT:
- Ensure timely recruitment of quality staff in accordance with the organisational recruitment policies
- Coordinate and supervise administrative and management staff to enable them achieve their performance objectives
- Ensure that all staff have valid contracts and job descriptions, and that they understand them.
- Implement performance review and performance management for all staff.
- Ensure development and implementation of Staff development plans
- WORKING WITH THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Attend all Board meetings.
- Oversee implementation of all Board decisions regarding policies, and procedures.
- Serve as liaison between Board and staff – ensuring timely provision of information to both the Board and staff
- Keep Board updated on all operations, changes, and problems.
- Coordinate Board/Committee activities and attend Committee meetings.
- FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
- Oversee the operations in the finance department
- Review and approve all monthly and quarterly financial budgets and reports before they are submitted to the donors
- Ensure timely submission of monthly and quarterly financial reports to grantors (as required).
- Oversee and ensure compliance with organisational financial policies and approved funding agreements /contracts
- AGENCY AND PROGRAM PLANNING:
- Oversee and guide the production of work plans and project reports as well as long term time oriented strategic plans
- Oversee program compliance with established policies and procedures.
- Develop, implement, and maintain tracking systems and/or for activities
- Review program progress and compare to goals and objectives.
- Assure compliance with both national and international set program standards
- RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT AND MAINTENANCE
- Research and prepare grant proposals and other funding applications.
- Develop and maintain a donor base for both monetary and non-monetary resources.
- Develop and maintain a donor tracking system.
- Work with Board in any fund-raising events or activities.
- NET WORKING AND PUBLIC RELATIONS:
- Coordinate public relations with the purpose of increasing public awareness of the ACTogether and NSDF program in Uganda.
- Develop and maintain relationships with all appropriate groups, agencies, and organizations, and key government actors in slum upgrading processes
- Approve and oversee release of press packets and news releases, and follow-up of any media coverage.
- Attend official events/engagements and act as a liaison between ACTogether and a range of external stakeholders.
- Cultivate long-term strategic partnerships or donor relationships to increase the organization's effectiveness in serving the unmet needs of the urban poor
Must be an influential mature manager with ability to lead and motivate a team of both staff and the national working team of the National Slum Dwellers Federation of Uganda. Must possess a Master’s degree in any relevant field with outstanding organization and leadership abilities and ability to take a holistic approach in managing the organization’s operations. The following are also desirable:
- Proven experience as executive director or any other managerial position.
- Ability to apply successful fundraising and networking techniques
- Strong understanding of urban planning and slum upgrading issues
- In depth knowledge and experience in managing donor funded programs/projects
- An analytical mind capable for “out-of-the-box” thinking to solve problems
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and public speaking skills
- Previous work in slum communities will be an added advantage
- FINANCE AND ADMNISTRATION MANAGER
Contract type: Full time
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Executive Director
To manage the finance and administration function in ACTogether including supervision and development of support staff as well as providing advisory and technical assistance on all finance related issues. The Finance and Administration manager will be a member of the senior management team
- Ensure that all financial transactions are carried out and recorded in accordance with standard financial procedures.
- Continue to develop appropriate financial systems and help all staff to understand and work with them.
- Engage in planning processes and manage financial controls of the organisation, ensuring targets and budgets are set clearly and communicated, and that budget performance is reported and actively managed.
- Manage and maintain budgets, financial forecasts and cash flow or optimum planning and control of organizational resources;
- Provide requisite financial and technical advice to senior management team, during strategic and operational planning process;
- Ensure that organization financial policies are adhered to particularly the financial controls set and the procurement procedures
- Manage the accounting requirements for the Slum Dwellers International (SDI) Head office, while ensuring accurate and timely reporting
- Ensure compliance with statutory and regulatory obligations, liaising with banks, auditors, tax authorities and others as appropriate
- Supervising and coaching the Accountant and any other staff or intern working in the finance department
- Ensure that all office equipment and vehicles are in good order and properly utilized
- Manage the purchase, distribution, use and repairs of all office equipment (e.g. computers and photocopier).
- Ensure that office security procedures and policies are implemented.
- Negotiate any changes to the property contract, or improvements to the property, with the landlord.
- Manage all domestic arrangements for visitors and SDI team that visit the organization
- Oversee all administrative filing and records, and archiving.
- Ensure that all major financial (or other) commitments with other parties are covered by a legal written agreement.
- Provide support to the office in all other administrative matters and Supervise of the driver and the office cleaner
- A qualified professional accountant (CPA, CA or equivalent membership of an internationally recognized professional accounting institute) with a Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, finance, economics or related field.
- Strong ethical and integrity background and possessing both management & leadership skills.
- Candidates must have at least 3-5 year’s work experience in a senior finance and administrative job preferably in the NGO sector
Qualified candidates who live and stay in slum communities are particularly encouraged to apply. The deadline for receiving applications is 20th July 2017